Sunday

Day 7: MANTEQUILLA

Todays was Karroll's Birthday.
I constantly feel as if something exciting is happening everyday at school. Karroll is the one who's dad took us out on the boat. We all got together during the science lesson to have cake, pepsi and pass around presents and goodie bags that Karroll's mom brought to the school to give to the children. One little boy, Allan, brought out one of the small childrens chairs for me and said "Meez. You sit here by me." It was absolutely precious. Then he kept offering to get me an even bigger chair after he realized that it was indeed too small for me. All the kids kept offering me their cand too, which was so cute. One of the kids even game me the candy that Karroll's mom had made herself.



Allan also invited everybody to his house for dinner. His mom does pedicures, so she has offered to do them for us anytime we want. His mom made some fresh tortillas, huevos tomatoes and frijoles. Then... she whipped out the mantequilla. Vicky had told me awhile ago about this mantequilla, and I knew, just from her description that I would love it. (Mantequilla is a mixture of sour cream and queso blanco... or basically... Summer's dream food.) So, when I finally got to see it face to face, my eyes lit up and I got a huge smile on my face. Allan's mom thought this was absoultely hilarious and kept making fun of me the rest of the night for it.

The thing about visiting the kids houses is that usually their parents don't speak english, so communication is limited to body language. Not ebing able to the language gives you another sense almost. You learn to read eyes and faces. Allan's mom the rest of the night looked at me like a was a long-lost daughter, with love and tenderness in her eyes. So, together Allan's mom and I crossed the language barrier to a place where no words were needed.

1 comment:

  1. Allan cracks me up! I was just telling Karen Santiago & Bethany some of the things he said to me. ;) He's so cute.

    ReplyDelete