Friday

Day 1: San Juan

I stepped off the plane in San Pedro Sula to the hottest heat my body has ever known. This was partially due to the fact that I was wearing a black hoodie, sweating my way through customs and partially due to the fact that the jet fuel from the airplanes was close enough to touch.

"What have I gotten myself into?" I thought.

Fito and Sol, my sort-of host parents/bosses/new friends, picked Jennifer and I up form the airport and took us to eat at a fast food chain restaurant called "Power Chicken." Si, it was in English, but the food was very much Spanish.

It was also probably the most delicious chicken I have ever eaten. It was moist and had all the right spices to win my stomach's approval. There was also a cute little corner bar filled with all kinds of spanish dipping sauces and salsas, and things that I wasn't ever sure were suppose to go on food, but Sol assured me they were, and showed me how to eat fast food Spanish-style. I am 100 percent certain that I prefer spanish fast food to American fast food. It is a lot more food, and a lot more taste.

The long ride to my new home in San Juan Pedro was probably about three hours, although I can't be certain because I was asleep every now and again. However, they were kind enough to wake me up to feed me all sorts of special treats.
We stopped and got fresh coconut juice, (suddenly made me realize why exactly I had come to live in this new, hot, place.)

Then we pulled off on the side of the road and bought some lichas. I think this is one fo my favorite things about Honduras... people just sell things like frit in bags on the side of the street and you just pull over and they bring it to your window. Its practically I drive-thru, only your guranteed to get your order right.)

Lichas are the most amazing fruit I have ever tasted and I am already contemplating just what I am going to do about getting them in the States. I figure by the end of 5months that I'll have a sure-fire foolproof plan. Lichas look like they would hurt you, but they'rein fact quite squishy. You crack open the shell with your mouth and waiting inside is the most delicious thing in all of the fruit family. It inds of like a chewy grape with a seed inside. I'm not sure anyone can ever properly describe just how delicious these things are, you just have to try them for yourself.

We also stopped along the way to get peritas, which are shaped like pairs, but taste like flower petals. No me gusta. We also got chocobananas. Chocolate covered bananas... I was absolutely delighted Sweet tooth fix, satisfied.

1 comment: