Monday

Day 23: Hello Localism

So, tonight Celeste, Ivan (pronounced Yvonne, not Ivan) and I went to a little local restaurant.

It was dark and we walked about 10 blocks away, with virtually no street lights to this cute little restaurant that you would never know existed if you weren't a local. It has a cute shabby-chic cabana style with a palm fronds roof, chairs made out of string, and a little tv in the corner for watching football (and ONLY for watching football.)

We sat next to this cute little family that had adorable twin girls that were about two years old who laughed and danced around saying such simple spanish that even I could understand what they were singing about.

While we were sitting amidst the aroma of fried tamates and the swirl of spanish in the air I got the overwhelming feeling of "I live here." Something about the way the spanish families acknoledged and welcome me, the way I could order my own food and not have to tell Celeste what I wanted I just realized that this is a community which I am now a part of.

I mean... I live here.
That is just so weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment