Thursday

Days 39: Hello Haiti

So, yesterday Sully invited me to go to El Progreso with her for the weekend. Naturally, I said yes because there is nothing to do in our tiny little town of San Juan, and going to EL Progreso means Dona Santa and Nina will feed me tons of nice food until I puke. So, I loaded up tons of stuff to keep me occupied in my backpack and hopped on a bus with Sully.

After having a nice 30 minute conversation with Elisheba, catching up on one anothers lives, I walked into the kitchen at Dona Santas and saw two nice American men sitting there. Americans! Yes! So, these nice men were Paul and Steve and they invited me to join them for the rest of the weekend. They just so happen to be from Ocala too and they spoiled the heck out of me! We went to the movies and they bought me popcorn and candy! We went to Applebees and I got some nice American food!

Other than treating me to nice things, Steve and Paul have actual jobs doing really great things. Paul has spent the past 6 weeks in Haiti organizing and distributing food. Steve is the brains behind the whole operation and he organizes lots of international aid when natural disasters occur all over the world. Right now with Operation Compassions, they're building churches and schools in Haiti, Honduras and Tanzania.

Paul's been in Haiti for as long as I've been in Honduras, so naturally I was interested in his thoughts and feelings about the whole situation, and just how exactly things are going in Haiti. He's got a ton of amazing stories, and I told him how I would love to come over and help with whatever I can, since I speak French, and he and Steve were absolutely floored. They definitely could use me over there, which means I might be going there for Holy Week. Hooray! After trying to communicate in Spanish for the past 6 weeks, Ive realized just how much French I really know. If these kids spoke french, we would have 0 communication problems.

So... basically God is amazing. I came to a place where I don't speak the language, in order to get an opportunity to go to a place where I do speak the language. God's plans for my life were so much bigger than my own.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! :) Keep walking through those open doors, Summer...be a willing vessel. You can't imagine what He has planned for you!

    ReplyDelete