Friday

Day 89: The Simple Life

(No, that is not a refernce to the epicly awful show put on by Nicole and Paris)

Living in a 3rd World Country, you definitely learn how to live a very simple life. Sometimes more than others.

Tonight around 6 our power went out. This happens a lot. Frequently we don´t have power or water, and never do we have a reason why.

Tonight though it was exceptionally hot. It was over 100 degrees all day today, so our tin roof and conducted a massive amount of heat inside our house for us. No fans, no air conditioning, no light, no breeze. We were in the dark and the heat. So, we pulled our kitchen chairs out into the backyard and sat and listened to the sounds of our little town.

We sang a lot of songs, some I knew, some I didn´t, and all the while it made me think of life before modern day technology. I have this friend Aaron. You can frequently find him with a beard, a pack of cigarettes, and a book sitting on his front porch. It´s one of the things I love most about him. He´s the kind of person that enjoys a hard days work. You won´t find him at clubs or malls, because the kind of thing that he enjoys can´t be bought or found there. Sitting in the yard, singing songs, being content to just pass the time by together, I had this whole new understanding of him. It´s funny how life can happen like that. I´ve always been a busybody, going and doing things, which is what drew me to Aaron. He didn´t need to be entertained or in a constant state of production. He could just "be."

It took 1000 miles and four months of hard labor to finally understand him.

I also have this friend Wheeler. He was born in America, but spent most of his life growing up in Thailand. Wheeler is an eccentric, and from the first time I saw him I knew I wanted to be his friend. Wheeler is an amazing cook, because he doesn´t understand American food. He combines things together that no one else would think of... Honey-Cheese-Eggs? You´d be surprised how delicious it is.

It wasn´t until I came to Honduras, that I finally understood how Wheeler feels when he looks at all our food. Tons of weird food and ingredients taht are just so different home, you learn to combine whatever you like and whatever smells tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment